Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A Night of Recognition, Honor, and Gratitude

Earlier this evening, all of the students, teachers, and associates of the Ivy League Connection appeared before the West Contra Costa District School Board. 

Worried that we would be caught in traffic, my mother, father, and I the left the house by 5:30 PM and arrived to Richmond's Lovonya Dejean Middle School at approximately 5:45 PM. Fortunately, we were one of the first people to be there; at least my dad was able to find good parking. Once the rest of the Cornell cohort came, we met up with our chaperone, Mr. Chan-Law. He discussed with us plans to visit other colleges in the East Coast and suggested that we research other areas nearby Ithaca to visit over the weekends. The idea of actually having some free time between all the work that I will face this summer made me even more enthusiastic about going to Cornell. After everyone arrived, at 6:30 PM, the meeting commenced.

I would be lying if I claimed to know the inner-workings of my school district, or even the names of any of the board members (except, of course, for Madeline Kronenberg and Charles Ramsey). However, I got the opportunity to observe how the board members unanimously came to decisions regarding the issues within the district's schools. After they finished several agendas, the Ivy League Connection stood before the School Board to be showered with praise and recognition. After Brown I, Brown II, and Columbia were called, the Cornell cohort was up. Accordingly, Mr. Chan-Law introduced us individually and the courses we will attend. Shortly afterward, Michelle came to the podium and gave her speech. I really liked her speech because she conveyed sincerity and confidence as she explained her appreciation for the Ivy League Connection, as we all do. The subsequent cohorts after us were University of Pennsylvania, Vanderbilt, and Yale. 

The speeches made by the ILC alumni were very inspirational. I have such an admiration for how they achieved educational and personal success for themselves and for their communities. I hope to be as good a role model as they are in the future. 

After the ILC handled their business, Don quickly began assembling all 38 students, as well as chaperones and accompanying parents, for the all important group photograph. Despite slight issues with the placement of all members, Don got everyone to squeeze together nice and tight. As soon as he snapped the final picture, we were able to go home.

This evening has showed me how much my community cares about the achievements of its students; especially with the generous donations made by the donors of the Ivy League Connection. Therefore, it seems only right to give back to the community that helped me achieve my academic success.


No comments:

Post a Comment