Saturday, May 4, 2013

Tutorial Two: Attack of the Technical Difficulties



Michelle!
I arrived at De Anza High School and quickly made my way to the designated classroom. After signing in, I took my seat next to Rochelle, Tamilyn, and Michelle. I was happy to see that the majority of my cohort had signed up for the same tutorial session as I had, as I have yet to become well acquainted with them. After today, I feel as though I've become a little closer with the other girls, and I'm more eager than ever to spend my summer with them.

Once we finished with greetings and introductions, we quickly set to work and began the tutorial. 
At least that was the morning was planned to proceed; in reality, we ended up having to deal with delay after delay, an aggravating pattern that seemed to frustrate Don and ILCers alike. From Internet issues to blocked websites, we encountered a laundry list of setbacks and technical difficulties that accumulated in over a half hour of lost time. Luckily, I was one of the few ILCers whose personal laptop was able to function correctly, so I had an easier time than the others. Eventually, we were able to resolve all of our problems and begin working as scheduled.  

 

As a veteran ILCer, I was fairly familiar with most of the topics covered in our agenda. That's not to say, however, that I wasn't happy to attend a refresher course on proper behavioral and blogging protocol. Throughout the three hour tutorial session, Don went over a great deal of information, including how we are to expected to conduct ourselves and how correctly draft and format our blogs--the later of which you are observing right now! Overall, we went over about four dozen different subtopics, all of which were very thorough and informative. We  even got to do some hands on learning were we made mock blogs, complete with both pictures and text. 

At the end of the meeting I was able to meet my chaperone, Mr. Chan-Law, in person for the first time. We chatted a bit and got to know each other a little better. Mr. Chan-Law gave a a brief overview of what to expect during our trip. One of the things Mr. Chan-Law told us was that we'll taking a trip to Chicago before classes start! I was really excited to hear this, not only because I've never been to Chicago before, but also because I was worried about revisiting the schools that I toured in New York last year. While all of the schools I visited last year were all wonderful, I prefer the idea of visiting some new colleges instead. Mr. Chan-Law also told us to start thinking about what kind of sightseeing we'd like to do. As of yet, I'm not sure of where to go--since Ithaca is a fairly secluded place our options are somewhat limited, but I'm certain that we'll find some exciting tourist attractions to visit! 

All in all, I believe that today was a very productive day. Not only was I was I able to fine tune my blogging skills, I was able to get to know my cohort a little better as well. I hope to be able to use my past experiences as an ILCer to help assist my cohort in whatever ways I can. This day has made me much more anxious to for the trip, and I absolutely can't wait for summer to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment