Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Model Behavior

For the first time, I went to a School Board Meeting. I made sure I was not just on time, but early. When the rest of my cohort arrived, we had a little discussion about what's going to happen. Mr. Chan-Law talked and suggested that we research places near Ithaca we could go on weekends. All this talk about what is coming soon made me very excited and glad that I got into the program. 

Then the meeting finally started a few minutes after 6:30. Those on stage were so serious, that it was a bit intimidating. When speakers went up to speak, they really only had two minutes to talk. I wondered if the Board Members would cut off the ILC speakers. However, when the ILCers were finally in front of the Board, the Board Members smiled warmly and no one was cut off.

As each cohort stood in front of the Board, it really looked like they were models for the rest of the school district. If we can do it, so can others. Michelle had nothing to worry about because speech was great. When our cohort had our little discussion, she was constantly timing her speech making sure it wasn't too short or too long. As she spoke, I could really relate to her. She said sees those older than her as models. It's like we know we're doing things correctly when we realize we're in the same courses or clubs as those who got out of California. Of course one day, I hope to be the model to others. 

There was a total of 38 ILC members going to Summer School. It was nice to know that the Ivy League Connection is the only one of his kid, according to Mr. Ramsey. We all are very proud to be chosen. Coming back from the trips, we'd definitely get my people to apply for the ILC.
I really enjoyed listening to ILC alumni talk. It was very inspirational, especially Austin Long's statement about how others should fear us. They gave me hope that I could actually go to college outside of the UC system. Anything is possible as long as I work hard and persevere. After this milestone, I am even more excited about Cornell. I'm very thankful to have been chosen for this program.


No comments:

Post a Comment