Monday, June 17, 2013

Counting down the hours

My suitcase
In just a few hours, I will board a plane to Chicago, and honestly, I do not know what to expect. All the dinners, meetings, tutorials have finally built up to this moment and I'm currently at a loss for words. A few friends stopped by to say their goodbyes and I have been experiencing mixed feelings for the past 24 hours. A side of me is feeling extremely thrilled to travel and learn and grow but the other side of me is feeling a sense of uneasiness. A combination of excitement and fear has kept me up for most of last night for this is my first time leaving home for so long. After my friends stopped by, it made me appreciate them so much. I have an amazing supply of support and love back home but I am up for an entirely new chapter in my life. Going to Chicago for a few days and then Ithaca for three weeks will help me become both more socially and culturally aware of my surroundings, encourage me to reach out and probably meet some of the most beautiful people I'll ever know. 

As for my Freedom and Justice course, I simply cannot wait to analyze governments from both the present and past, and connect philosophers like Aristotle and Plato to some of the greatest thinkers of today. Because history is personally my favorite subject in school, I definitely relate to this class the most (hence my application for this course). I'm also very positive about and look forward to having group discussions with my determined and passionate classmates. I'm ready to step out of my comfort zone, discuss and debate morals and ethics, share stories and ideas, and develop a more open mind.

Me taking down a DIY book page banner to hang on my Cornell dorm wall 
As for the environment as well as a bit of the littler things I'll experience, I'm also curious and even a bit scared to have a roommate for the first time. To transition a little bit more easily, I've taken down a few of the decorations off the walls in my room so I can take a bit of home with me. 

I also hear Cornell is a beautiful campus with wonderful scenery to gaze upon. I plan to visit as many parts of campus as I can in my free time.

I'm counting down the hours and I can't wait to just take everything in.

No comments:

Post a Comment