Saturday, June 22, 2013

Small World, Big World


One of Cornell's many gorges.
The official check-in day and students from Ohio to Hong Kong have arrived, representing as a whole approximately 40 different countries. The campus really is enormous, and while it appeared there were not many students arriving, the majority of the 902 students were spread out over the campus and streamed in during the course of the early afternoon. 

I met many new people today, from international students to people from the Bay Area. There was an ice cream social at 7:30PM and I meandered through the crowd, introducing myself and making new friends. Today is my first official day in Cornell University, and in the short period of time I feel as though the world has expanded by miles. 
The Summer College Orientation was held in Bailey Hall,
with over one thousand attendees.

I have traveled a great deal since I was young, and I have met many people during my expeditions. However, I have spent the majority of my life in California's Bay Area. Before coming to Cornell, whenever I asked someone where they were from I expected to hear Berkeley, Lafayette, the Silicon Valley, or Asia for international travelers. At Cornell, it is not uncommon for me to instead hear "I'm from Pennsylvania!" or "I flew here from Japan." I knew there were a lot of international students and many from other states, but being used to my small world I found it surprising to hear these bright young people proudly claiming their places of departure.
The Cornellians befriended many people at the ice cream
social held in Balch courtyard.

I expected to meet a few people, but I did not expect to meet so many students from all over the world. Joining the Ivy League Connection has definitely expanded my horizons, and I cannot wait to see the rest of what this new world has to offer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment