Monday, June 17, 2013

Here I Come

It's happening. It's finally happening. In a few hours I will be on my way to Chicago and beyond that, Ithaca, New York. I usually refrain from using colloquial contractions, but now I feel as if the abbreviation is more efficient in expressing my excitement. Everything preceding this day has only been preparation for the real milestone. The real journey begins tomorrow morning. 
Packed and ready to go!

I know that I will be far too energized to sleep on the plane, and should I end up sitting with a stranger, I hope he has not prepared to sleep during the flight. One of the reasons I joined the Ivy League Connection is to meet new people, and thus improve my socializing skills. A four hour flight may not provide enough time to learn my new companion's entire life's story, but a few hours is more than ample for me to learn a little bit more about the world. There are many interesting characters around, and as I meet more and more people, I hope to be able to freely converse with any stranger on a level that is both comfortable and productive for the both of us. 

If meeting new people and learning about the world was my only goal, then I would have ridden the rails for three months, instead of enduring the many trials of the ILC. I needed a way to experience life on new waters, and what better way to prepare myself for college life than spending three rigorous weeks on an Ivy League campus? 
While I would have loved to bring my supply of hats in its
entirety, one representative shall have to suffice.

Ever since I was accepted after the interview, I have devoted many hours of my time preparing- both mentally and physically. Etiquette for formal dinners, how to walk in high heels, and how to speak in public with strangers are just a few of the many topics I have practiced and reviewed in preparation for the East Coast. One of my latest accomplishments is learning how to fold a shirt in under two seconds- because when you're busy trying to decipher Plato's teachings, you can only spend so much time on laundry.

The next three weeks will prove difficult, but I will learn much more about the world and myself, and I gladly accept any and all challenges that wait ahead. New York, here I come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment