Wednesday, June 12, 2013

One More Week Til Take Off

After tonight's presentation at the Hercules City Council Meeting, everything finally completely hit me. I leave for Chicago in exactly a week, and I cannot be more thrilled. The meeting began at around 7 with the different items the Council had to discuss, including some of the city's future innovations and projects. The Ivy League Program was featured next and each ILCer from Hercules High stole the spotlight for a few minutes.

This was one of the few times I had to speak in front of a crowd, so I was extremely nervous. There were things I didn't manage to say. There are definitely many areas I need to work on in terms of my public speaking skills but as the months progress, I am hoping to improve a lot. Everyone's speeches were well prepared and well said. I could definitely relate to what my peers had to say for everything they said were true. After traveling to the East Coast, I will become more independent and turn into a mature adult. I will definitely become more open to colleges outside California and reach out to my community to encourage students here to go visit schools out of state. After, Mr. Ramsey spoke, along with Ms. Kronenberg and our Cornell chaperone Alfredo Chanlaw. We ended the presentation with a wonderful group picture.




It's really just so great to have such a supportive group--whether it's the City Council, the ILC, its benefactors, our parents-- without them, I wouldn't be flying off to the east coast in 7 days. I haven't even stepped onto the  Cornell campus yet and I feel like I have already learned so much. I've gained so much experience from just the past dinners and presentations like this. I really enjoyed the good vibes each council member gave us, and it's nice to know we have supporters like them back at home.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment