Friday, July 12, 2013

Last Time

After enduring a long night of studying, it was time to make the final leap in completing the Freedom and Justice course: the final exam. Jenna, Gloria, and I met for breakfast to review for the exam to clear up any misconceptions we had. All the students reconvened at the lecture hall for the last time at 9:50 AM for the final exam. By 12 PM, everyone rejoiced in the fact that were we completed this rigorous class. It was at that very moment when I realized that this was the last time I would ever return to McGraw Hall for class and be around my classmates.






Last look of the lecture hall
To enjoy our final hours of being in Ithaca, Jenna, Gloria, Rochelle, her classmate Helen, and I met at the Cornell store to explore the campus before we depart. Of course Cornell has a very vast campus and it is impossible to actually visit each corner of its surroundings, but we did manage to find a couple of small gorges and pass by the engineering halls.

(From left to right) Jenna, Rochelle, Gloria, and Helen walking into the engineering quad

Last view of McGraw Hall on my way from class
We also found beautiful views of the other side of campus! I have been so accustomed to my normal morning route from my dormitory to McGraw Hall that it was refreshing to see other sections of the campus. Unfortunately, our exploration had to be short because we needed to meet with Mr. Chan-Law to go over the final details of our flight.
Tamilyn performing
After dinner, the girls and I attended Cornell's celebratory talent show primarily in support of Tamilyn. I never realized that there were some many talented vocalists and musicians among the Summer College students. One girl gave a very engaging and entertaining performance of the song The Girl in 14G; it felt like I was watching a wonderful musical.

Despite the vast amount of performances, Tamilyn was definitely one of the best with her brilliant rendition of Don't Gotta Work It Out by the Fitz and the Tantrums.

As I finish packing, I cannot help but feel such a conflicting feeling of excitement and sadness. Of course, I have missed my family and loved ones immensely and cannot wait to reunite and share my incredible experiences with them. But at the same time, there is a part of me that does not want to accept that my time at Cornell is nearly over. By Monday morning, I expect to wake up by 7 AM, walk to class, and engage in philosophical discussions with my classmates; unfortunately, this is not the case I realize. Three weeks have literally came and went in a blink of an eye but I am extremely grateful for this rare experience to grow and learn both academically and socially. 

No comments:

Post a Comment