Friday, July 12, 2013

Sayonara, Summer College

That was it, the last day of Summer College. It's hard to believe that three weeks have come and gone so quickly-it honestly feels like as though it's not really, and that I'll be returning for another week of class Monday morning.

Reneta opened the class with lecture on the importance of establishing bonds with one's peers and coworkers. I found Reneta's speech to be both very heartwarming and true; I've become quite attached to my group, so much that it pains me to have to say goodbye to them. We've accomplished so much together and become so close that it almost feels as if we've been known each other for an entire school year, rather than just three weeks. I hope that my group will be able to follow Reneta's advice and keep in touch with one another-or maybe even attend school together here at Cornell!

At exactly 11:32 AM, my group completed and turned in our final CHESS Report. We were very proud with our end product; we each put our best effort whilst doing this project, and in the end we produced a informative, formal, and comprehensive business report. I believe that it was due to our dedication and cooperation that were able to complete our paper to such a degree and it goes to show that even a set of complete strangers can become a well function group when everyone sets their mind to it.

With class over, I decided to stop by the Cornell Store in order to do some last minute souvenir shopping. It took me well over an hour to find the perfect gifts for all my friends and family members; the combination of my loved one's pickiness and the Cornell Store's overpriced goods made the shopping much more difficult than they should have been. I eventually managed to find something for everyone, and while I may not have been able to find the perfect present for everyone, I'm sure that they'll be satisfied with their gifts.

I spent the later half of my afternoon cleaning my room and packing my suitcases. During this time, I began to reminisce about the past few weeks, reflecting back on what I learned and the experiences that I've had. I've learned a lot from my time in Hotel Operations Management class. Not only about the hospitality industry and business administration, but also about the importance of empathizing with those around you, so as to better understand them. I think of grown a lot from this knowledge and that it has made me a much better person, one that is more trusting and open to others. For example, my CHESS Report project marks the first time I've ever completed a group project without hating or resenting the majority of my group members.

At 6:00 PM, the other girls and I went to Summer College talent show in to support Tamilyn and our other classmates. It was a night of endless entertainment; one girl gave a wondrous performance of the song The Girl in 14G and one my classmates, Nico Lang, played piano as his friend sang Can't Tell Me Nothin'. Tamilyn was one of the best acts of the night, giving a beautiful rendition of Don't Gotta Work It Out by Fitz and the Tantrums. It was fun to get to witness the talents of my fellow Summer College Students, and I was surprised to learn how gifted some of them were-before this event, I never even knew Tamilyn could sing or play piano.

While a part of me is said to leave Summer College behind, I honestly can't wait to return home. It's been much too long since I've last seen my friends and family, and I can't wait to tell them of my adventures in person. I hope that by sharing my experiences, I'll be able to inspire my others just as Summer College and the Ivy League Connection has inspired me. 



1 comment:

  1. Summer school is a great way to finish your degree or diploma much faster than normal. I had to take classes in order to get my GED and ended up enrolling in an online summer high school program that expedited the process. The online portion makes things so easy and convenient. I'm now looking into online college programs!

    ReplyDelete