Saturday, July 6, 2013

From Shopping to Socializing

Jenna, Rochelle, Michelle, Chritian and I spent the day at Ithaca Commons. We met up at 10:45 AM, and after sitting down for a quick breakfast at Robert Purcell Community Center, we set off towards our destination. While in Ithaca Commons, we revisited many of local shops and well as a few new ones, such as Robbie Dein's American Crafts, a handmade craft store where I bought a hidden wooden hand mirror as well as a surprise present for my mother.

Although I found out that Ithaca Commons was in fact much larger that I initially thought, I was still somewhat disappointed in it's small size.I found myself wondering whether or not I could imagine myself living in Ithaca for four straight years. Though Ithaca is a nice, quaint town it is tad dull at times, and I fear that I would find myself dissatisfied living in the town due to the endless monotony. I will concede that the hustle and bustle of the city isn't entirely appealing either, as the constant activity and excitement can prove to be quite overwhelming. It seems that I've still yet to find the perfect niche for me and it's no wonder why; there are so many factors that make up a school--it's academics, facilities, resources, reputation, location. I've come to realize that if I want to find "my perfect school," I'm going to have to make some compromises, as their is a very little chance that I'll be able to find a school that will be able to accommodate all of my needs. 

After finding ourselves within Ithaca Commons' restaurant district, we decided to enjoy a late lunch at A Taste of Thai. I ordered a delicious plate of yellow noodles topped with beef. 

Once we returned home, I began working on my weekend homework, namely the redrafting of my CHESS Report. Since Mark and Reneta were offput by the lackluster quality of the class' first submission, they gave the entire class an extension as well as a clearer set of instructions. At first, I was thrilled at the idea of getting a dover, but after awhile I felt somewhat discouraged; the fact that the entire class needs to redo their papers is a clear indication that none of us are ready for college level work, and that we've completely let our instructors down. I hope to use the new opportunity to prove to Mark and Reneta that I truly am capable, 

At 9:40 PM, I decided to take a break from studying to enjoy a toga party being held in my dorm. I'm not one for parties-I'm incredibly shy and introverted, so I often find myself awkwardly huddled in the corner of the room during large social events. This time, however, I was able to gain enough courage to get out of my shell and work my way onto the dance floor-and it was all thanks to the bonds I've created with my new friends and my cohort. If not for them, I probably would have stayed cooped up in my room all night, rather than having fun with my friends. After tonight, I think that I've become a little more confident in myself, a trend that I hope to continue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment