Monday, July 1, 2013

Mandarin Creativity

My Mandarin skills are terrible. I thought that because I took a few Mandarin classes before, I’d be able to understand those who spoke Mandarin and I’d be able to express what I wanted to say clearly. I realized I needed work on my Mandarin when I ate lunch with Helen and Queenie today. Maybe I wasn’t use to Mandarin because I usually speak Cantonese, but I felt a little ashamed that I couldn’t understand half the things they said.

As of now, Mandarin is becoming the standard Chinese language and more people speak Mandarin instead of Cantonese. If I wanted to reach out to more people of my culture, I would have to actually have good Mandarin skills. I could understand Chinese dramas when they’re in Mandarin, but only if there are subtitles. I want to be able to be one with my culture more.

A lot of schools have a wide range of languages to learn in school. There's Mandarin, Latin, and even Japanese. At my school, we only have German, French, and Spanish. It would be nice to have more options for those who want to know their culture more. If my school had a Mandarin class, I'd definitely take that instead of Spanish. I'm sure many other of my classmates feel the same way too.

We gave presentations about hotel brands today. Many of them were the same and predictable, but Tomi’s was great and original. It was very creative because instead of just giving facts, her group pretended to be actual people of the company. For example, one person was the CEO, another was a representative, and Tomi was a satisfied loyal guest who shared of her experience. It was very well put together.

Tomi’s excellent presentation made me wish I were able to be more creative. I’m more of a person who sticks to requirements. Although it usually gets the job done, it’s boring. Also, boring doesn’t make as big of an impact on people compared to when things are entertaining. Hopefully, this class would help me tap into my creative side, if I even have a creative side. By being creative, I would not only hold the attention of my audience, but impress the teachers and earn a better grade.

I’ve come up with two goals today: to learn Mandarin and think outside the box. I want to be able communicate with others in my culture. Since Cantonese isn’t as popular as Mandarin, I’d need to adjust to the world and learn Mandarin. I should not just think about meeting requirements, but actually go the extra mile and be creative. I’d have many more benefits in doing so. I’m really glad I’m in this program because I seem to be learning a lot here. I’d probably stick to Cantonese and meeting minimum requirements.

No comments:

Post a Comment